
Happy 2010!
“You shall not go out with haste...for the Lord will go before you, and the God of Israel will be your rear guard.” Isaiah 52.12
“ As we go forth into the coming year, let it not be in the haste of impetuous, forgetful delight, nor with the quickness of impulsive thoughtlessness. But let us go out with the patient power of knowing that the God of Israel will go before us. Our yesterdays hold broken and irreversible things for us. It is true that we have lost opportunities that will never return, but God can transform this destructive anxiety into a constructive thoughtfulness for the future. Let the past rest, but let it rest in the sweet embrace of Christ.
“ Leave the broken, irreversible past in His hands, and step out into the invincible future with Him.”
Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest, December 31.
7 comments:
Oh, that is so good. Impulsive thoughtlessness, that is the symptom of our jagged times.
I should know that name, Chambers. I'll look him up.
I remember him now. He was much-quoted at Wheaton. The blurb on Amazon for this book says: "Oswald Chambers, a Scotsman who converted to Christianity in his teens under the ministry of Charles Spurgeon, has been affecting Christians with his devotional words since My Utmost for His Highest was first published in 1935. This acknowledged classic contains 365 daily readings that take heady doctrine and make it practical, realistic, and intensely personal. With humor and humility, Chambers speaks plainly to the common man struggling with devotion to Christ in daily living.
Thanks, Lana. A perfect thought for the new year.
Is the picture from that book, too?
No, the picture is from stock internet photos and I failed to give the source, also messed up the picture in trying to upload. Had to copy and paste from screen print and it didn't work out so well.
I enjoyed your chipmunk new year greeting very much.
Your room picture looks fine to me. Provocative.
Thanks. The chipmunk was "borrowed" too.
Chambers was the source of that Jim Elliott quote, big on campus;
"My one desire is to give myself in reckless abandonment to Christ."
Which probably led to his reckless suicidal behavior.
The "reckless abandonment" is in the Chambers devotional book. I don't always agree with Chambers who is big on that "sanctification" thing that was talked about much at Wheaton. He is much more often right than wrong though, I think, and says much I needed to hear this past yaer.
We have a different book for this year for those in grief.
"Impulsive thoughtlessnes" has been the hallmark of my life, my personality. Ha. :-)
Post a Comment