Saturday, December 19, 2009

Enormous bird eating a dove in back yard

I could not get clear images, and I can't tell what sort of hawk this is. It had bands on its tail, no reddish color that I could see, white spots on its back which is unlike any hawk picture in my bird guide. I vote for northern harrier. But I really do not know.

The ominous thing is that the little dog next door disappeared last night. I see that the great horned owl could possibly be a culprit in that sad story. We still hope the dog will turn up.




3 comments:

Priscilla said...

Oh my gosh! That's awful. About the dog, I mean. Hawks must live too. Guess we don't like to see how.

Priscilla said...

Lana, could it be a Sharp-Shinned Hawk? The Wiki article mentions white spots.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp-shinned_Hawk

Did the little dog reappear?

Maria said...

Thanks for the wikipedia tip.

Yes, the little Sheltie came home this morning! I'm so thrilled and of course his family is ecstatic. He was out three nights in the park apparently. I'm inspired to write a children's story based on this incident.