Friday, October 1, 2010

What a lovely thing happened today

I have heard of this happening to others, but today was my first time. Hummingbirds have always fussed at me before. Today I was watering the garden and perhaps because it has been so dry, this adorable little bird hesitated at the edge of the spray. I held it steady and decreased the strength of the spray while it fed on a nearby flower. Then it came into the spray, flew around to the other side and came in there, then fully entered by sitting on little sprigs of a Japanese holly under the water. It just took a complete shower. It wiggled and danced and let the water flow all over itself. So very cute. I talked to it softly during this interval which seemed quite long to me, more than a minute, maybe five minutes. Then it hovered overhead before leaving. It was such a wonderful thing.

2 comments:

Priscilla said...

Oh, that is amazing. Wonderful experience. You were in sync with the cosmos and the little bird knew it.

Priscilla said...

I'll bet he was in the midst of his migration. You may have saved his life with the liquid refreshment.