Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Odds and Ends - Miscellaneous items, fragments and remnants, as in I've finished putting everything away, except for a few odds and ends. This expression may have originated as odd ends in the mid-1500s, meaning "short leftovers of some material" (such as lumber or cloth). It had acquired its present form and meaning by the mid-1700s. - The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
3 comments:
Oh, are they having a feast!Do they leave any or strip the trees bare?
The only time I saw cedar waxwings here was one day at the duck pond when flocks of them swept around in circles, maybe getting insects.
They look as if they've dipped their tails in yellow paint
Hello, just popped by to visit:)
I was reading back through your blog, and had to comment on your "Advent Thoughts" post. I thought it was beautifully written, and I was touched by your words. Loved these lines especially:
"Darkness sometimes offers a look into ourselves and our own personal darkness. Perhaps our brokenness these long nights is more receptive to healing."
Onto the topic of the moment, I once rescued a baby cedar waxwing. He grew up to be a happy, cheeky little bird that would ride upon my shoulder, and perch on the clothesline offering up an endless commentary as I hung the laundry to dry. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for these little masked birds :)
Post a Comment